There's a tag used in this question that would possibly be more clear if it were renamed to a noun such as "formal language" or "formality". Should we change it, create a synonym, or leave it be?

  • might 'speech' imply that we aren't also talking about writing?
    – topo morto
    Jun 22 '16 at 6:45
  • 1
    @topomorto good point. How about just "Formality"? It seems (at least in my head) to make more sense to make the tag's name a noun instead of an adjective.
    – user12
    Jun 22 '16 at 12:08
  • the noun 'register' relates (partly) to how formal language is - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Register_(sociolinguistics), but that would apply to questions asking about formal and informal language.
    – topo morto
    Jun 22 '16 at 12:13
  • for formal language, how about formal-language ?
    – topo morto
    Jun 22 '16 at 12:14
  • @topomorto that makes a lot of sense, I've edited the question to use that instead of "Formal Speech"
    – user12
    Jun 22 '16 at 12:14

+1 for formal-language

Comparing with formality and register:

  • formality sounds very technical, and isn't as immediately comprehensible as formal-language. formality also may refer to other things.
  • register includes all levels of formality, and it should discuss about each register itself, no the topics within the register, e.g. it should talk about how formal registers compare with others, or how they function as registers, not how things should be done in the formal registers

About whether to make a synonym or just re-tag the question, I would favor re-tag. This should always be the preferred choice if you are confident the tag wouldn't appear again. Luckily with the current small size of this site re-tagging is very easy, and more importantly SE's tag autocomplete would redirect new would-be formal tags to formal-language, and hopefully this can serve to unify all future questions of this topic under this one tag, without the need to use synonyms.

You must log in to answer this question.