Please note that the Version 1 is based on Portuguese SE's page.
Portuguese SE has two very well-experienced moderators who are moderating on English Language and Usage SE and Japanese SE respectively, too. Let me suggest my version first based on Portuguese SE's format. I think format-wise, Portuguese SE's version is more concise.
What topics can I ask about here?
The Korean Language Stack Exchange is for linguists, teachers,
students, and anyone interested in the Korean language. Please make
your question as clear as possible with an example sentence and proper
context. Questions about the following topics are welcomed here:
- Korean linguistics, orthography (spelling, punctuation) or etymology
- Word choice and usage, grammar, and pronunciation, including dialect differences
- The meaning of a word or expression in context (if it is not clear from the dictionary definition)
- Problems encountered by people learning Korean
But please don't ask any questions about these topics, which are
outside of scope for this site:
- Simple general reference question and character recognition request answerable by consulting a dictionary
- Request for direct translation and proofreading without specific source of concern
- How to improve your Korean
- Questions that are primarily opinion-based including cultural questions not relevant to the Korean language.
- Questions with too many possible answers, or that would require an extremely long answer
- Criticism, discussion, and analysis of Korean literature
A side note: We do ask that you look up the meaning of words or
expressions in a dictionary first. If you can't find the answer you're
looking for, go ahead and ask, but do provide the context and example
sentence in which you found the word or expression, and tell us why
you find the dictionary answer unsatisfactory.
We are neither a translation nor proofreading service. Asking about
the meaning of a difficult Korean sentence is fine. So is asking how
to express an idea in idiomatic Korean. But please don't ask us to
translate or proofread a text without identifying a specific source of
concern in the sentence and minimal research efforts.
Should I write in Korean or English?
Both languages are accepted. When answering a question, we encourage
you to answer in the language of the question, if you are able. Don't
worry about making a few mistakes: other community members can help
with corrections if you are not as strong in that language.
On Korean SE, all tags should be in English unless there is no English
equivalent for a concept; then Korean is accepted.